Sunday, February 26, 2017

Privacy Ethics

When (if ever) is it right to intrude on another's privacy?  Is privacy a "right"?

I believe if I was close to one of my siblings and they were for example suicidal, that it gives me a right to intrude into their privacy so that I may have insight into any suicidal plans. I may also be able to find out if it is just a lie for attention or if these threats are not bad and I may have time to intervene. If the person with theses thoughts was not in anyway related to me then I would possibly either not get into it or I may let the family know if it is a serious situation that no one in that family see's. Basically if someone is in danger or going to put other people into danger and I have some insight into that I believe then it is a right time to intrude. Otherwise, then yes privacy is a right we have but with those limitations that I just listed above. I would not want to spy on my siblings or my kids but I would want to advise them because one day they will grow up and have their own opinions and I will not be able to hover other their shoulders watching their every move. Adults have their rights to privacy that even children have but at that age it should mean that they are being closely watched for signs of danger.

In your post, please contextualize your ideas in relation to Allen or Warren and Brandeis (the two articles you read in advance of 2/21).  

In relation to Anita Allen's article she brings up the point that spying has this ethic's cloud above it. There are so many different terms or motives to have behind it but ultimately they are all spying. She then goes on to address different scenes of when she thinks it is ethical to spy on someone. But even so with these specific examples that she points out I would like to say that these are specific examples that fit into certain topics. Like spying on your children. Just because that specific example worked out one way does not mean it is ok to always spy on your children. It is definitely a fine like between ethics but each case of why we are doing it should be very detailed and specific to your motives. Otherwise you are not being ethical about what you are doing and it breaks the persons privacy rights that they do have.

Please discuss how you could apply your beliefs about privacy to a decision you might make about whether or not to apply techniques that you have learned in our course so far, such as Google dorking.

My beliefs are constantly changing because I have had reasoning in the past that is wrong. I am constantly changing. But as it stands I would not want to ever violate someones privacy without first reviewing the case. Even still I would try to talk it over with someone who is not involved and find out their opinion. It is a fine line to walk. When it comes to google dorking you should basically acknowledge that while some things may not break laws some do and therefore you should accept the consequences of those actions if caught doing malicious activities whether it is or is not for some type of compensation or informational gain. From this course I have also really been able to expand on this thought process that is ethics and morality and that it is not so black and white even if it seems it is. It makes me a lot more thoughtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment