Sunday, February 5, 2017

Social Engineering Task #2

My task was to get someone to ask me for a favor.  I approached this task by attempting to brag about my tax return in the hope that I could get someone to ask me to help them file their taxes.  This was difficult but I was ultimately successful.  While out with some friends, I brought up how I was looking forward to my tax return so I could have some extra spending money for an up coming vacation.  A friend responded that she hates doing her taxes because it is complicated.  I commented that the online program I use makes it really easy.  This resulted in her asking for the name of the website.  I then stated how the website walks you through all the possible deductions step by step and that maybe she wasn't taking advantage of deducting all her expenses.  She asked for an example and I said your vehicle excise tax.  She said she had no idea she could deduct that and after a few minutes more conversation she asked me if I could help her prepare her taxes.

I think many people are looking for ways to save money or earn more money without having to put in a lot of effort.  By representing myself as just a good person trying to help fellow students save money by preparing tax returns for free and increase returns by helping to maximize deductions, I could easily take advantage of them.  I could capitalize on the "poor college student" offering to help prepare taxes for free by posting a flyer in the lounge or holding "office hours" there.  I could easily collect private information including address, social security number, bank account and routing numbers, employer, income, etc.  I could then use this information to file false returns the following year, open credit cards in their name, or siphon finds from their bank account.

I think these actions would be considered morally right as long as the intent is to help others save money and earn more of a refund, but if the intent is to steal information to use for personal financial gain, then it would be morally wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment