Monday, February 27, 2017

Ethics assignment privacy



Privacy Ethics
When (if ever) is it right to intrude on another's privacy?  Is privacy a "right"?

To intrude on another person’s privacy or spying on another individual, I believe it depends on the context and of course the situation. If it is your job to spy on individuals who may be a threat or who are colluding with foreign entities whose interests run counter to those of whom you work for then of course it is right, now if we go into intruding on a private level such as the privacy expected between two people or a reasonable amount of privacy for children living under a parent’s roof then these are of course different matters that should be dealt with delicately and of course be judged on a case by case basis.

In your post, please contextualize your ideas in relation to Allen or Warren and Brandeis (the two articles you read in advance of 2/21).  


In Anita Allen's article she says that spying has an ethic's cloud above it. But I think differently I believe that Ethics much like a person’s feelings and emotions is subjective. My beliefs of what I consider ethical may not be what someone who is different than me may find ethical. My ethics “cloud” may be smaller, lighter and not as dark as someone else mostly because I have seen the benefits of spying and doing things that some may consider illegal or immoral in order to achieve the greater good. As far as spying on children I believe its very simple; as long as they live under your roof there is no privacy. Of course they can expect reasonable privacy such as they can lock their doors and talk to whoever they want on their phone but as a parent random room and phone checks are strictly enforced whether the child is present or not.  

Please discuss how you could apply your beliefs about privacy to a decision you might make about whether or not to apply techniques that you have learned in our course so far, such as Google dorking.


My beliefs haven’t much changed over time but I do have to work within the law now and I could be subject to civil and criminal penalties should I ever attempt to spy on someone using a method that is illegal. This goes for google dorking as well. Using methods that are illegal in the act of spying is punishable by the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment