Monday, April 10, 2017

Social Engineering Task #9

My task was to follow a fellow player off campus without them knowing that I was following them. I was unsuccessful.

I gave this a try but ultimately going through with it made me feel uneasy so I did not go far. On my way out of class I noticed a fellow player heading for the train station where I was also headed. I let them get far enough ahead of me so that it wouldn't be obvious. Their train came (mine was the opposite direction) just as I was going to go in the train cart behind them so that I can see which stop they get out from I decided that it was going too far. Being that elaborate with following someone and possibly almost going through with it made me feel wrong. I chickened out.

Someone who actually goes through with basically stalking someone can be a cause for alarm. Especially when they are methodical about it as to not raise suspicion as to what they are doing (like getting in the train one cart behind and peeking through the window inside). They could observe the victim's daily pattern, where they live, who they associate themselves with, etc.

This task raises concerns regarding special awareness. Even then, someone determined enough could follow another person without having signs of being detected. I am not entirely sure there's a way to combat a "smart" stalker. What I got from this is ALWAYS LIVE IN FEAR because someone could always be following you. Or, be more mindful of your surroundings and try to be safe. Someone with bad intentions be looking for a home to rob or a vulnerable point in the day for the victim to be assaulted and worse. A good way this can be used is doing an investigation on someone. Sometimes for an investigation to be thorough it is necessary to shadow them in order to gain information that would be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment