Monday, April 10, 2017

Social Engineering Task #8

Execution: My task was to get someone to eat something that came from my hand. I was able to accomplish this by taking out a pack of gum and offering a stick to the person next to me.

Narrative/method: First, I felt like chewing some gum. Next, I took out my pack of gum. After, I grabbed a stick for myself. Finally, I offered a stick to the person next to me. Nothing to revolutionary in the world of social engineering.

Application: A person could apply these techniques in a real-life situation by doing exactly as I described above. Only then will they master the art of sharing gum. Some behavioral information one could take away from this is that if someone takes the stick of gum, they may be able to be befriended with food, or trust can be gained easily; they try to soften you up.

Ethical reflection: These actions can be used to comfort someone when they are feeling down, or just to make friends with new people. Depending on the situation, these same actions can also be used for purposes that may not be seen as morally right, such as trying to soften someone up/bribing them to get them to tell you some information you want to hear or manipulate your decisions later. A real-world example could be a salesman or businessman taking you out to dinner to discuss current products they would like to sell you. It doesn't seem wrong, but they are trying to influence you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment