Monday, April 10, 2017

Social Engineering Task #7

Execution: My task was to get a stranger to give you money or buy you something (third task in a row that had to do with money!!!). I'm not sure if the cashier covering for my short change counts, but I'll go ahead and count it ad I accomplished my task!

Narrative/method: The way I approached my task was by buying a snack at CVS and genuinely not having exact/enough change. Instead of making me break a bigger bill, the cashier just took what I had (it was close enough anyway).

Application: Well, I think people have run into a similar situation in the past, and there usually any technique behind it other than hoping the cashier is in a good mood. If someone wanted to make this a regular thing, then they would always carry almost exact change, and then maybe a bigger bill that the cashier may not feel like breaking and doing the math for breaking it. Someone might notice that a certain cashier is nicer than others and always covers the short change, and may start abusing the cashiers kindness to save a few cents.

Ethical reflection: In the real world, if people sometimes don't have enough change, or cashiers may truly not feel like breaking bigger bills for something so insignificant. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if someone starts to always target a specific cashier and using the same excuse, then that person is clearly abusing the cashiers kindness and should be fed to the lions, or at least given a warning for their unethical behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment