Monday, April 10, 2017

Ethics Assignment Is Privacy a Right?

When (if ever) is it right to intrude on another’s privacy? Is privacy a “right?”
Since 9/11 the word privacy has been thrown around a lot in relation to when the public learned about the Patriot Act in 2001. I believe that the government has the right to intrude on someone’s privacy if that person is believed to be associated with, or suspected of being involved with terrorists. Privacy is considered by most to be a right, but privacy is not clearly stated in the U.S. Constitution, however some amendments provide some protection (ex. Due Process 14th Amendment). While Privacy may not be clearly stated in the constitution, it is protected by several statutory laws like HIPAA, or the Privacy Act of 1974. There may be several ways privacy is protected, but it is truly up to the individual to take the proper steps to protect his or her own privacy.
Contextualize your ideas in relation to Allen or Warren and Brandeis.
Anita Allen talks about infringing on another person’s privacy if they are a child or mentally impaired, because they in fact do not understand the importance of privacy or have a lack of judgement. Children and the mentally impaired can be easily taken advantage of and will not realize it until it is too late. Therefore, parents should always monitor what their children are doing and most people who are mentally impaired should have a family member or guardian monitoring them as well.
Discuss how you could apply your beliefs about privacy to a decision you might have to make.

I had to apply my beliefs about privacy when I joined the military because I had to undergo a very long background check which included being questioned by an investigator. I had a job while I was in the military that involved me being extremely aware of my surroundings and safeguarding my own privacy, all while knowing that the government kept an extra close eye on my activities because of the position I held.

No comments:

Post a Comment