Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Social Engineering Task #7



My task was: “To find out Mr.YellowGlasses phone OS, including version.”

Did I accomplish it? Yes, iOS 10.3

I don’t have evidence to confirm this because we had verbal conversation.

I approached this with a casual conversation about my phone and how big it is. Then I asked my fellow hacker what type of phone they have because it was much smaller than mine and they told me it was an Iphone 6 (regular version, not the 6 plus version) and from there I deducted that the OS version is 12.3.4 because that’s the latest version of iOS and Apple pushes their updates automatically in most phones and of course Apple’s users are known to want to be as much up to date as possible.

Application: Finding out the type of phone and version of OS allows the attacker to target vulnerabilities for that version of OS and phone.

Ethical reflection: After knowing what type of phone and OS a company gives its employees; the ethical hacker can plan better and design a plan to protect the company assets based on what vulnerabilities this system has. A negative way to apply this knowledge is to target a phone that belongs to the attacker’s target company network and infiltrate the network, run malware or even work its way to wipe out the phones remotely.

No comments:

Post a Comment