Monday, March 6, 2017

Social Engineering Task #6


Execution: My task was to take a picture of stranger's house and/or car keys.  I was successful in taking a picture of a stranger's house as evidenced below:

 

Narrative/method: My approached to this task was to see if I could observe someone entering their home but while driving home from work, I drove by the house above and noticed a man sitting at his dining room table working on a laptop.  It is hard to see in the picture above but I have circled where the man is visible. It was simple to pull over and take this picture without anyone noticing me.

 
Application: It was very easy to see this man since the lights are on and his curtains are not drawn.  It could be easy for a hacker to conduct a war driving attack on this home and perhaps steal personal information from his laptop, home network, or infect it with a virus to create a zombie or add it to a botnet.

Ethical reflection: I felt like a Peeping Tom when I was talking this picture.  What someone does in the privacy of their own home is their business and I believe it was unethical to violate this man's privacy by taking this picture.  Perhaps he should close his blinds but that still doesn't excuse what I did.  In my opinion, the only circumstances that would make this morally right would be if a law enforcement officer had reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was taking place in this residence and was conducting surveillance to obtain probably cause for a search warrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment