Monday, April 27, 2015

Social Engineering final task: "Get 5 phone numbers"

For my final task I wanted to get someone to give me their cell phone and I will copy 5 phone numbers from their contact list without them noticing.

My principal target for this task was a my co-worker. I disabled the WiFi adapter on my laptop so it can’t connect and I claimed that I tried everything to fix it but nothing worked, I asked her if she has the hotspot feature in her smart phone, I was sure her phone has it since its Iphone 4. She said that she doesn't know what it is, I explained the concept and said that I just need to try if my laptop will connect to another wireless network, I also explained that I don't have that feature in my phone since I have to call the phone provider and I haven't done it yet. She accepted and gave me her phone unlocked. I Activated the hotspot, before doing anything with it, I asked her if I can go grab something from my office quickly she said that is fine, I said I will bring her phone back right the way. I went to my disk when throught the contact list and opened the 5 first once and took a picture with my phone of them (took less time than coping). went back and gave her her phone. Mission accomplished I had the 5 phone numbers without being noticed.

My strategy was effective even thought if I had to target a stranger, it would be a lot harder.

I didn’t like lying and going through my coworker private data, this is one of the mission that I didn't like doing which is a little weird since I chose it, which I regretted it, but also felt relieved since this was be my last task of the semester.

2 comments: