Monday, March 7, 2016

Social Engineering Task # 6

Friday March 4, 2016
This week’s task was to get someone on the bus/T to give up their seat for me.
My strategy was to discreetly untie my sneaker and ask someone if I could have their seat so that I could tie my sneaker. During the morning commute everyone seated on the train is either sleeping or listening to music.
(See attached photo) Plus the car was wicked packed so I could not move to a different spot. I never got a chance to ask someone for their seat.

For the afternoon commute my plan was to get on at Downtown Crossing and get a seat at State, which I did, then give it to someone, then ask that person for the seat for just one stop so that I could tie my sneaker. Because of the movement of the train I felt it was unsafe for someone to get up out of their seat while the train was moving. Especially from North Station to Community College where the train travels at a high rate of speed.

Obviously my strategy was not good, too many moving parts. The best bet would be to ask for a seat right after I get on the train or before it starts moving.

Monday March 7, 2016
For some reason the T was not as packed as usual for the morning commute. I ended up getting a seat next to the door at North Station. I asked the person next to me if they would give me their seat in exchange for mine because I was superstitious about seating next to the door. Technically this fulfilled the challenge as written which was to get someone to give up their seat for me. I don’t know how many points I will get for this task because I didn’t take away someone’s opportunity to have a seat.


As far as the moral stakes there are two things I will not do, ask a woman for her seat or fake an injury or illness to get something or get out of doing something. I didn’t feel bad about faking a superstition to exchange seats. What I learned is that if you ask someone nicely and your story is plausible most people will honor a reasonable request as long as it does not present a discomfort or inconvenience to them. 

1 comment:

  1. Good persistence and good example of a way to accomplish the task without violating your ethics! This is a big win! 5 points.

    ReplyDelete