Monday, March 7, 2016

Social Engineering Task 6 (Failed)

1 My task was to eavesdrop on 3 of my classmates.

2 I managed only to eavesdrop on one conversation only. The conversation was between Sgt.Blue Bonnet and Lelion Noir. In the conversation, Sgt.Blue Bonnet told Lelion Noir that he lived in Dorchester. I figure this would be an easy task I could complete before class ended, but we were hit with the codeacademy(python) and paired discussion(FBI vs Apple) in class. During the codeacademy assignment, the whole room was quiet. Literally no one said a word. During the paired discussion, my partner happened to sit in the middle of the room, away from everyone else so I wasn't close enough to listen in on them talk. We had to discuss the topic too, so it was pretty hard to listen in on others.

3 My strategy in class was to simple listen in on conversations I'd normally disregard. Simple is best. Due to the assignments, there wasn't as much chatter as usual so I didn't pick up anything I would consider "successful eavesdropping". The next day, I figure eavesdropping doesn't mean I have to physically be there to listen. I had a friend help me go down the name list of the people in our class, searching social media sites to see if they had any conversations I could "eavesdrop" on. The list did not contain last names so we got way too much results to look through. We spend about an hour trying different filters. I didn't want to waste his time so I gave up after that.

4 Failed

5 If done properly(which I didn't), you can get a lot of information about people. I thought the eavesdropping on social media was a good idea. Many people have their social media to public so you can see a lot of things about them, even some conversations.

6 Failed

1 comment: