Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Confusion and Chaos

Several days ago I changed the displayed name I use of the blog to be the same as one of the other users. I did not actually change my name, but rather only the displayed name, made several posts with the displayed name, and then changed my name back to my original name on the blog. I knew that one person in class was to target me for social engineering, so I opted to reverse the value of the social engineering, by counter social engineering, and displaying their name on my posts, and to pit one blog subscriber against another in order to induce some low-level confusion. Once someone clicked on my profile they would see the proper account data, but see a false posting name.

I did this to obtain extra points for social engineering aspect of the assignment, and for no other reason. It is unlikely that any person in class could in any way be harmed or hurt by my doing this, and it was purely done for a short duration manipulation.


2 comments: