Monday, March 28, 2016

Social Engineering #7 - Serious Medical Issue: I will miss class this Tuesday due to Illness

I have been feeling rough for the past few weeks, and over the past few days, I have been running a bit of a high fever (see photo)

I Feel Like I am Dying, Where is the Nyquil



I have also been having a hell of a time walking, and went to the emergency room this evening, where the good doctors found THIS little rotting bugger in my shoe.

Oww, Owww, Owww. Two toes gotta get removed shortly. You can see my actual toe bones.

It seems that the fever was caused by a very serious gangrene infection, and the toes in the image are surgically coming off tonight, and I hope to be back in class next week. Yes, you are looking at rotting bone and rotting skin.



Trying to be Brave, Scared Shitless

Wish me luck on the surgery to be performed in a few minutes (it is an emergency situation to hack these two twos off quickly.

I am well sedated, and they are getting ready to roll me into surgery.

I was supposed to do the OS Vulnerabilities assignment presentation tomorrow, but will have to pass that to one of my other team members.

Wish me well, seriously, and say a prayer that I actually wake up after surgery.

There is a possible that I will not be able to return for the rest of the semester, and if so, I just wanted to say thanks, and I really enjoyed the class.

I hope to be back in class next week, but hobbling around a bit, or in a worse case situation I will have my daughter send the school my obituary notice.

Reverand Cyan

--------------------------------------------------
Update 03/29/2016 at 2:10 PM

Social Engineering #7

My given task was to “fake and injury in class to get out of doing work”, which is a task that I have an ethical conflict with performing as it is strongly against my ethics to fake an injury, and it is even more offense to my ethics to do anything to try to get out of work.

This creates a conflict, as the task assigned by the professor “to fake an injury” conflicts with my personal ethic not to do so, but in order to score a meaningful amount of credit for the hoax I needed to embrace the instructions of the professor, and to set my own ethics to the side for purposes of a short term hoax.

Our group will be presenting today on “OS Vulnerabilities” and for this assignment I did not wish to “not do the work” as this could deprive both they and I of a favorable assignment grade. To that end I worked diligently with my group to get an initial word document drawn up, and then handed it to another team member to create a PowerPoint presentation, then for another team member to add more flesh to the Word documents, which I then inserted into the PowerPoint, added an audio track, feigned being seriously ill, forwarded the final document to my other classmates, with a little dramatic flourish, and posted the above images to try to play out the hoax a little.

The moral stakes were actually quite high, and I have a strong ethic against feigning injury or sickness, and I have a strong ethic in regards to evading work. To compromise both of these, at least for a short term hoax really troubled me. However, I wished to gain all 12 points for the assignment, but I will also arrive right at 2:20 to take part in-class for the presentation, and have posted this update to the bottom of my original post. The only work that I really would have evaded will be the preparatory hour or so before class that we were to gather to practice and the deception about a fictional injury will be neutralized with this posting.

If you look at the thermometer you will notice that the temp is in memory location 1, from the last time I was seriously ill, from a few month back, and it was not a live, contemporaneous measurement.

The photograph of the rotting foot is actually a gangrene-infected foot where it ate down to the bone of two toes, and liquefied the flesh and fat on other parts of the foot, requiring surgical amputation. It is a photograph which I personally took, and it is the foot of a family member. I knew that the picture was overly gruesome and that this level of gruesomeness would make the hoax more likely to be believed, although by posting it to the Ethical Hacking Blog the risk of disbelief would overall be high.

I then added an image on myself, in a hospital Johnny (hospital gown), and put on a mask to take a selfie to post to the blog, the try to make it all more believable.

There is a probability that one of my classmates has read the hoax, and believed it, and felt sympathy/empathy towards my injury, and this may have caused them an amount of genuine concern or psychological pain. As I did not wish for this pain to exceed 18 hours of so, I initiated the hoax at around 9 PM last night with initial hints, posted it in full around 11 PM and expose the hoax at 2 PM today.

It is my desire to be awarded all 12 point for this hoax, which I now reveal to be a hoax assigned to me by the Professor.

I will see everybody in class at 2:20 PM, and look forward to the OS Vulnerabilities presentation.

10 comments:

  1. I have to ask, but how in the world did you not notice this sooner? Did you not feel pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sgt, but both me and my foot will be in class at 2:20 PM today.

      Delete
  2. I feel this one is more of a social engineering task rather than a real one (I'm sorry if I'm wrong), Why would you post here rather than contacting professor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the Professor knows it is a hoax, the students did not, and I was able to manipultae team members in order to evade part of the project, and thus win the full points.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure you were able to manipulate team members or not, at least not me. Please read the anonymous comments, lol.

      Delete
  3. He definitely fooled me! I was getting ready to perform the property presentation on my own. I even complained to my comrades at work about the perfect timing to come down with gangrene, an illness that I haven't heard of since the reading about the American Civil War, lol ! Good one Rev! You deserve the max points allowed for this task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also one of the member of that team, and I told you and others in the class that he was doing his social engineering task. I also made couple of comments on our blog post so that nobody false on that trick. Anyway good try on his part though and I'm happy he is healthy and alive, lol.

      Delete
  4. Sargeant Bluebonnet, I did not wish to feign of fester the illness until the project was ready for completion and deliverable as I did not feel this would be fair to any of the members of our team, so this provided me with an extremely narrow window between sending the final version, thence announcing that I was ill, but it needed to be a rather gruesome illness, and not merely that I had the flu or a cold. The "gruesome photo" was important as I needed to foster a sense of compassion that would overcome the normal suspicion that could be had due to the nature of this class. Also, posting a "gruesome image" of real gangrene would not have accomplished my goal, I also needed to demonstrate a believable fever so I got out one of my thermometers, covered the tip with several layers of adhesive tape, and pointed it a lightbulb until I got a temperature that was in the range of being "sick" but was not say, 109 degrees of something, but rather "just sick enough". I added the "trying to be brave" image to sort of clinch the whole hoax as just the gruesome image and the thermometer would not be enough to carry the fraud to the level needed.

    Thus, I social engineered this so that it would in no way have a negative impact on my team, and the only activities that I "got out of" was not sitting down with the team before class to review the presentation.

    I also had to limit the duration of the hoax and waited to the last minute to spring it, and then waited until just before class to roll it up and call it out.

    I was half tempted to how up for class in a wheelchair, with an IV pole and bag, and my foot bandaged up, in a hospital gown and with a patient's bracelet, and other props, but I did not wish to carry the hoax too far, as it was already offending my own ethics and sense of decency.

    On the other hand there is also the final project... (evil grin)

    ReplyDelete