Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Social Engineering Task 3/22 - 3/28

Use shoulder surfing to take a picture of a phone.

Well, this task less morally taxating in comparison of other tasks that I had before. But in the need of making this less obvious as I have a giant phone which would easily reveal my steps, I researched for "Spy Camera" apps on the Google Play store. I found a really good one which allowed me to conceal my camera and take pictures while making my phone appear to be off.


The app of course has a complete version that adds additional features like recording video for longer time and photo bursts for a couple of bucks, Using the app have its advantages and disadvantages. Since the screen appears to be off, you can take pictures without fear of drawing attention towards you. However, you are unable to see exactly what are you taking pictures to, and so, you have to take multiple shots just to make sure.

Went to the Boston Library and the Bus to try it out.




Those where complete, random strangers, and the guy with the MacBook had very sensitive information on his screen. It was a shame that I wasn't able to manually focus the camera on the screen,


It is a very useful app that requires practice if you want to take snapshots of detailed objects. It is easier, though, if it is applicable to objects that does not require a lot of focus.

1 comment: