Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Facebook Friend or Foe Social Engineer #3


This week’s challenge was to get a fellow player to friend/follow a fake social media page. I figured that if I didn’t just target one person my chances were greater I used a page I created months ago to take away suspicion that it was fake. I knew this challenge would be difficult especially with all of the other players being so cautious not to mention I didn’t have every player’s full name but I did have a few players’ names.

I sent friend requests through Facebook to Inspector Green, Admiral Aquamarine, Captain Black, and Pink Mystery I would have created a fake twitter but upon looking I was unable to find a twitter account for any of these players. Once the requests were sent I waited patiently for a week captain black and admiral aquamarine made me so I focused on Inspector green and pink mystery. I messaged them both through Facebook.

“Hi (Fellow Players name) I had a class with you last semester and I was hoping you might still have some of the coursework. I lost most of it when I moved. Thanks, Joe.”

It was sneaky to pretend to be someone else.

I waited until 12:01 AM on the 24th of March to post to see if anyone would snag the bate, but nothing so I am going to consider this mission failed. However I was thinking of ways that I could get this mission accomplished and I figured out most people will add a familiar face  so if I were to attempt this again then I would most likely find a familiar face they know but not someone they are close with and create a Facebook page that states.

“I am deleting my old page so add me on this one!”

Might work, might not. Any who I think this challenge test the gullibility of other players like if I was targeted then most likely the person would have completed the mission because I am always trying to interact with new people to market my book. I can see where this may be dangerous in some aspects and the privacy is an important matter when it comes down to it.

Better luck next time, Right!

2 comments:

  1. Failed attempt....but decent strategy. You wouldn't be very good at catfishing it seems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failed attempt....but decent strategy. You wouldn't be very good at catfishing it seems. :)

    ReplyDelete