Monday, April 21, 2014

Morally accepted thing!


Does having the ability to do something make it morally acceptable to do that thing?  Put differently--if you can, may you?  Why or why not?


            Having the ability to do something makes it morally acceptable to do that thing?
What is morally acceptable? We say something is morally acceptable when that thing is accepted by law or culture of a society. Things that do not offense people's moral beliefs. For example, things like being polite towards elderly people, helping someone who is in need of help (in case of emergency), etc.
Does it mean if I can do something, then I have to do it? I don’t think so, as far as it doesn’t offend others.
I can insult someone, but I don’t have the right to insult someone just like that. I can smoke but it doesn’t allow me to smoke in public areas or in a hospital where sick people are. I have the ability to buy a gun or a weapon, but it doesn’t mean I can kill someone, because by doing that I’m becoming a murderer.

Finally We would say that having the ability to do something doesn’t make it morally acceptable, especially if that thing does offense others.

N.Y

No comments:

Post a Comment