Sunday, February 8, 2015

Social Engineering Challenge 1: Lending a Hand


The Thistle's task for this week was to get another player to lend me money. I didn't think it was creative enough to just waltz right up to one of you and ask for a dollar for the vending machine, and besides then my true identity would be uncovered. Instead I took to email. I knew the possibilities of getting a PayPal loan were slim to none, so I had to come up with an alternate plan. I am kind of surprised that my mission this week failed and will return stronger next week. Here are the details:

I decided to use the term money loosely and just decided to get one of you to SAY that you would lend me money. I tried to do this by saying I needed help with a investment project for another class and sent out an email/note to the fellow players. The email/note stated that I was looking for input on a business plan, and asked which business, if you were an investor, would lend me money to open. When I would receive a reply stating that you would lend me this said money to open a business, it would have been as good as gold. You would have lent me money. Also, the note contained three very different types of businesses, so the reader would have to choose a business of personal interest. By doing this, I was hoping to get more insight on the other players and their interests for future social engineering missions.

The morals at stake were the fact that I was being deceitful with my true intentions. Also, that I was trying to manipulate the other players and gain personal information. I believe morally, this was wrong and would have not been appreciated by the players or anyone else. I attempted to prey on the willingness to help others and lend a hand to a fellow player/student. I was planning on using their information against them and to target them, much like many phishing scams or ad targeting. Once I had the inside scoop, the players would have become more vulnerable.

I felt very hopeful during this mission and thought it would definitely work. I learned to never underestimate other players or targets. Another skill I learned is to always have a back up plan in the future, just in case the targets prove to be tougher than expected.

Although I thought this idea was genius, I am very surprised it failed. It was not as effective as I thought. I thought that I would be killing two birds with one stone, however, I did not. Now that I know just how guarded you all are, you have forced me to become even sneakier and manipulative. Game on. Til next week fellow players!


-Admiral Thistle

2 comments:

  1. 5 points! My mission was similar to this and I thought it was very challenging because its only like the second meeting and that's not really enough time to build trust for lending money or for asking classmates to buy us something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good attempt. No points for a failure on the leaderboard, but credit for the attempt!!!

    ReplyDelete