Monday, March 31, 2014

Social engineering task (i lost count what number)

This is for the previous week, not this latest week.

I was supposed to "convince someone that another person is lying or mistaken."
I wasn't sure how to interpret this. I had a few thoughts: 1. When person A is lying to person B, make sure person B knows that person A is lying (or mistaken); 2. When person A is telling the truth to person B, make person B believe person A is lying (or mistaken); 3. Talk to person A, then I tell person B about the conversation (I could be telling the truth or lying at this point), I tell person B something that person A said the person B would know about, but that is a lie or a mistaken and attempt to convince person B that person A is lying or mistaken; 4. Talk to person A, I tell person A something. Person A tells person B what I said (something I'm sure they will ask me about, or something easy for me to bring up in conversation), then I talk to person B and convince them person A was lying or mistaken.

So, with all of those thoughts in mind, I put my plan into action at work. To protect people I will use their initials.

Where I work, with the job I have there are different stations, we are basically interchangeable parts and we are supposed to rotate every half hour. We are spread out pretty far, so we can't have direct contact except through walkie-talkies, which our managers also have, so they can hear anything we say on them. Many of us try not to call for rotation over the walkie-talkie, so we don't throw our lead under the bus (because it is the lead's responsibility to initiate rotation), but if we can get word to the lead in another way, we do that.

On Thursday, I was at rules - farthest away from the main court, where the lead is - and we were way past time to rotate. One of my coworkers, TG, who wasn't working that day, came in to use the facility. I didn't really care if we rotated or not, it was pretty slow and not a big deal, but I took the opportunity to pull off scenario number 4 from up above. I talked to TG for a little bit and I asked TG to tell the workers on the main court, JV and JM, to start rotation (it starts from the main court almost always). rotation ends with the person from rules (me in this situation) going to the main court. When I got to main court, JM was still there as JV had started rotation. He asked why I asked for rotation because it was so dead. I told him I didn't ask. He said TG said I asked. I didn't want to say TG was lying (especially since he wasn't), I just said he must have misinterpreted the conversation we had. I told JM that I told TG we hadn't rotated in awhile, and it was cool because it was so slow and it was nice to be able to relax at rules, but typically I don't like being at that station. JM believed me, even saying, "Oh, that makes sense. I didn't think you'd call for rotation right now, I was surprised when he said that." I said normally I would want to rotate if it was busy, but since it was slow it didn't matter and when I told TG, he must not have heard me correctly. I decided not to confess and just let it stand as it was.

So to sum it all up, I convinced JM that TG was mistaken about a conversation that TG had with myself. Task accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment