Sunday, January 31, 2016

Social Engineering Task #1



Switching Seats

My task was to “get a fellow player to switch seats with you”.
 
Since “Switch Seats” task was told in the class few times already, everybody knew what was coming. With very uneasiness, I approached Dr. Purple for that task and as I expected he ignored my request. Then after a while we had to log onto computer for MyNetLab assignment, so I tried to convince Mister Deer to use computer at my desk to log on (since he didn’t have computer on his center table). Because of the obvious reason and known nature of task, my offer was also ignored by Mister Deer.

I won’t say my strategy was very effective because of the “not so secret” task.

To begin with, my moral stakes was like… ughh… when I picked and read the task. Then slowly after discussion in the class, I was okay and said to myself, “task is task, either you fail or pass, there is no harm in trying”.

Even though I failed, I learned something good. It’s not easy to deceive or cheat on well informed people, if everybody in an organization are alert about possible intrusion and method. That intrusion will be almost impossible to occur.

I guess this task was an open secret and awkward one to start conversation with your new classmates because everybody knew what’s coming and I was lucky (??) to select that task. The moment I picked that chit and read the task, I knew almost certainly that I’m going to fail because that was the first example given in the class about the social engineering. My mantra was “there is no shame in failing but failing without trying may be”. Even with some hesitation, I tried that anyway. I am not ashamed for failing, at least I tried.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! No points for the game, but definitely earns you grade points for trying! LOVE the MANTRA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete